A day in the life…
This Consumer Researcher will be instrumental in contributing to the primary research function at Nordstrom. We are the headlights of the business, shining light on key strategic initiatives. Our research vision employs traditional surveys and marketing research techniques, but also brings in a critical in-the-moment, qualitative dimension by embedding ourselves (physically and/or digitally) with customers as they shop and live their daily lives. The result is providing our partners with timely insights that help them make critical business decisions, keeping the consumer in mind.
The ideal candidate will possess a strong research background spanning multiple research techniques from quantitative to qualitative; from surveys and focus groups, to consumer panel/community engagement. In addition, a successful candidate will possess: effective communication skills, deep empathy, collaborative interpersonal skills as well as experience with technology, processes, and methodologies that support successful research. Overall, this role will bring Nordstrom’s core value of being Customer Obsessed to life by enabling us to see through our customers’ eyes and walk in their shoes. This position will roll into the Consumer Research & Insights team.
- Collaborate with teams across the organization to deliver on research projects/leverage consumer insights to drive business results
- Lead and/or support projects and/or multiple work streams both on a vended model as well as utilizing do-it-yourself tools.
- Strong knowledge of research fundamentals and methodologies along with and analysis techniques
- Builds and maintains bridges to other research-related functions in the business (e.g. UX, CorpAnalytics) to ensure project collaboration and optimize efficiency across teams.
- Creates actionable, rich, and compelling insights through effective storytelling, employing multiple media
- Customer-obsessed; keeps customer at the forefront of decision making; listens and advocates for research techniques and solutions that help customers achieve their goals
- Demonstrates a track record of success in primary research
- Critical thinker who can create truly actionable insights by delineating the “important” from the merely “interesting”
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Strong attention to detail, proactivity, and follow-through
- Ability to balance the planning and execution of potentially concurrent projects
- Sets work goals, establishes priorities, and plans effectively to consistently produce quality work
You own this if you have…
- At least 3 years of experience in consumer research, analytics or related field. Bachelor’s degree, with advanced degree preferred.
- Strong record of achievement in applying a customer mindset to shape solutions, drive change and achieve business goals.
- Proven ability to build strong relationships with peers, stakeholders, and senior leadership in cross-functional teams
- Hands-on experience utilizing quantitative/qualitative research tools and techniques including surveys, panel/community engagement, focus groups, web analytics, etc.
- Demonstrated experience of analyzing complex survey data to create a compelling story to stakeholders and key business leaders.
- Experience with vendor management including selecting the appropriate vendor for the project, adhering to timelines, and executing within budget.
- Passion for and understanding of fashion retail required; retail experience preferred
- Strong project management skills with the ability to juggle multiple priorities simultaneously in a fast-paced environment