Survey Market Research Director
At The Hartman Group, you will have the opportunity to make a significant impact on the future of the food industry by leading projects to help uncover consumer demand trends and growth opportunities for our national and international clients. You have at least 5 years of hands-on primary consumer survey research experience and are based in the Pacific Northwest. You have strong analytical and strategic thinking skills, proven questionnaire design and execution expertise and experience with segmentation studies and other advanced statistical and data analysis methods. Your success in this role is augmented by strong writing skills, proven project leadership and client-facing strengths, a passion for food culture, and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, team-driven work environment. Experience working in the CPG industry in marketing research (client or vendor side) is a strong advantage.
The Hartman Group offers a highly collaborative environment across the organization, with emphasis on co-creation, continuous learning and professional growth. We offer a competitive benefits package, including paid vacation and sick time, 401(k) with company matching, medical/dental/vision coverage, volunteer paid time off, professional development funding and more. Candidates based in the Pacific Northwest are preferred for this full-time position.
Lead research projects that utilize a blend of primary and secondary data, with emphasis on primary consumer surveys and quantitative analysis. Design and/or contribute to project proposals; lead design, testing and execution of questionnaires; make consultative recommendations to clients and mentor skill development of team members, particularly in story development, conclusions and recommendations. Be responsible for sample design and weighting along with sample provider management. Provide thought leadership to keep The Hartman Group on the leading edge of consumer culture and actionable insights for food and beverage clients.
As Market Research Director your responsibilities will include:
Insights and Strategy Delivery
- Analyze and synthesize multiple, complex data sets including primary and secondary research (e.g., qualitative and quantitative consumer data, sales data such as IRI, Nielsen, Euromonitor, census and other government data) with ability to work independently to translate data into strategic implications and recommendations to address key client business issues
- Create and deliver strong client deliverables that demonstrate thoughtful analysis and data interpretation via strong written and visual storytelling including research insights, strategic frameworks, and compelling narratives to bring to life opportunities
- Collaborate within a dynamic, cross-disciplinary team and engage in cross-discipline project activities
- Provide analytical and thought leadership and mentoring to project teams
Project Management and Execution
- Manage survey-based research projects from start to finish, partnering across disciplines and departments for a smooth client experience
- Design, plan, and lead studies with a wide range of mixed methods (with emphasis on quantitative research, advanced data analysis methods, stakeholder interviews, cultural analysis and secondary research)
- Develop research instruments and planning tools (sample design, questionnaire design, data processing and analysis plans, etc.)
- Manage timelines, project goals and expectations of key internal/external stakeholders to achieve rapid analytical workflow
Client Management and Satisfaction
- Manage day-to-day client and vendor relations for projects, proactively identifying and addressing needs/risks to drive satisfaction and positive project outcomes
- Confidently lead all client communications from initial kick-off to interim project status updates and final presentation delivery across a variety of phone, webinar and in-person settings
- Actively acquire and demonstrate current knowledge of client business, competitive environment and larger food industry
- Facilitate internal and client work sessions/ideations (progressive responsibility)
- 5+ years of experience leading development and testing of questionnaires, with at least 3 years for large sample consumer surveys, including consumer segmentation studies
- Experience using quantitative analytical techniques such as regression, factor analysis and other advanced data analysis methods
- Experience with data management and processing
- Proficiency in quantitative programs, including SPSS, R and/or Stata
- Professional or personal expertise in topics of Health & Wellness, Sustainability, Food Trends a plus
- Proficiency and savvy in data visualization tools a plus, such as Tableau, ggplot, PowerBI or equivalent
- Graduate degree in analytical or insights-focused fields such as sociology, economics, political science, statistics or allied field
- Minimum 7 years of prior work experience, with at least 5 years in consumer survey research, preferably within a CPG organization or consumer research agency
- Persuasive written and verbal communications to inspire confidence and build/strengthen internal and external relationships
- Evidence of leadership ability (project, thought and people)
- Advanced PowerPoint and Excel skills
- Intellectual curiosity; strong interest in consumer behavior and food industry trends
About the Hartman Group, Inc.
For over 30 years, The Hartman Group has been a recognized thought leader in the food industry. We focus on culture as the pathway for food and beverage companies to understand the broader contexts that create consumer demand in the marketplace and advise some of the world’s largest food and beverage companies on issues of portfolio management, brand renovation, consumer insights and innovation. The Hartman Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.