Blink is looking for a UX Research Director to join our Seattle team. This individual will be responsible for strategic work in four main areas of the business – leading research project work, collaborating with sales to propose and scope research work, collaborating with other members of research leadership on internal initiatives, and management of UX researchers’ growth and development. We are looking for someone with a breadth of experience across a variety of research methods and the ability to inspire teams to do great work.
To be successful in this role you will need to be collaborative, a strong communicator, and able to prioritize competing priorities. This person will need to be excited to lead client engagements, mentor team members, and collaborate with other members of Blink to further business goals.
What you'll be doing
- Directing a team of researchers, supporting their growth and development at the company through coaching and mentoring.
- Participating in client meetings with Blink’s client engagement team members as a subject matter expert. Scoping and proposing specific research projects that address client needs.
- Leading multiple research projects concurrently with Blink researchers, designers, and project managers.
- Providing input and substantive feedback to team members as they plan, moderate, and create deliver findings reports from research studies. Ensuring that project outcomes and deliverables meet Blink’s high-quality standards.
- Understanding client business goals while advocating for well-crafted and enjoyable user experiences.
- Providing input about project team resourcing, ensuring Blink teams are organized to best serve client and project needs, whether for research-only projects, or multi-disciplinary user-centered design engagements.
- Working with the Research Leadership Team to grow and fine-tune the company’s research practice.
- Identifying opportunities to build awareness, credibility, and reputation through direct communication with potential clients as well as through outward communication channels.
- Leading company initiatives on special topics of interest or new services.
What we are looking for
- 8+ years of experience designing and conducting a wide range of design and UX research activities, from generative/foundational research to evaluative studies.
- Formal education in a relevant field such as human-centered design, cognitive psychology, information science, or equivalent hands-on experience to demonstrate an understanding of user research theory, methods, and practices.
- Deep knowledge of current UX research methods and tools and ability to prescribe single or mixed research methods depending on research questions.
- Extensive experience with UX hardware or human factors research.
- Expertise in a variety of methods such as qualitative user interviews, ethnographic fieldwork, concept evaluation, diary studies, surveys, usability, etc.
- Excellent presentation and written communication skills.
- Ability to articulate the value of user experience research and design to clients and executives.
- Experience working directly with clients or stakeholders in a consultative role.
- Experience mentoring, managing, and/or leading other researchers.
- Proven ability to communicate recommended design solutions for observed UX and product issues.
- Working knowledge of technology constraints and capabilities.
- Direct experience with multi-disciplinary user-centered design projects.
- Experience collaborating with team members and stakeholders across different disciplines and areas of expertise (e.g., research, design, business, engineering).
Bonus if you have
- Demonstrated thought leadership through public speaking or writing.
- UX design, product development, or product management experience.
- Experimental design skills and background.
- Advanced degree (Masters or PhD).
Important Note: If your experience looks a little different from what we’ve identified, and you think you can rock the role, we’d love to learn more about you. Please feel welcome to apply, including a cover letter that tells us why you feel you’d be a good match.
To apply please go to: https://jobs.lever.co/blinkux/ee5c53d8-65fe-49f6-8e2e-b8aeb45b612d
Blink is the user experience firm for the world’s leading companies. We use evidence-driven design to create products that people use, love and remember. With studios in Austin, Boston, San Diego, San Francisco, and Seattle, Blink brings two decades of experience to research, design, and strategy for clients such as Amazon, Facebook, Microsoft, NASA, Starbucks, and USAA.
Blink is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, veteran status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, or disability.